If you love French Riviera culture and Mediterranean living, then you need to try this classic Niçoise salad, or salade niçoise in French, recipe. This salad features flavors typical of cuisine from the south of France – specifically the coastal city of Nice, France.
In Nice, you can even find pan bagnat, a sandwich made with pain de campagne and filled with salade niçoise!
What is Salade Niçoise? Salade Niçoise is a classic French composed salad originating from the city of Nice in the Provence region. It typically contains tuna, hard-boiled eggs, potatoes, green beans, tomatoes, anchovies, olives, and dressed with olive oil and vinegar. The ingredients are meant to represent the colors of the French flag – red, white, and blue.
There is still much debate as to what traditionally constitutes a real French salade niçoise. Some people believe that it was originally made only with tomatoes, anchovies, and olive oil. Different variations found may include potatoes or green beans, though traditionally not in this dish.
Nevertheless, this French salad is a hearty meal in and of itself. For an added French touch, serve the salad with a piece of toasted bread.
Salade Niçoise Recipe
This delicious French Salade Niçoise recipe serves 4 people.
- Mesclun lettuce
- 2-5oz cans of tuna in water, drained
- Anchovies, to taste
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 bell pepper
- ½ cup pitted black olives
- 4 radishes
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to Make a Niçoise Salad at Home
- Slice your tomatoes into quarters, slice your bell pepper into strips, and your radish into slices. Drain your tuna and anchovies.
- Slice each egg into 6-8 pieces.
- Place a few leaves of your washed lettuce on a plate, with a few pieces of fresh basil. Top with your vegetables, eggs, and fish.
- Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, and mustard to make the vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle over your salad.